Primary Distance Learning at Alcuin
Our Primary team is working hard with their distance learning plans. Not only are they working on Practical Life, they are also bringing math, culture, art, Spanish, science, and sensorial into the fold as well as sending articles and much needed emotional support to families.
The children could paint with spices, they could make “Kindness Notecards” as part of the Giving Artfully Kids program, they built a bird feeder then kept track of the different birds that visited, they had simple drawing and handwriting games, or created their own Land, Water and Air Containers. These are just a few of the things that the children had the opportunity to work on.
Of course, their favorite part is spending virtual face-to-face time with their teachers. Hearing their voices and seeing their faces is beneficial to both the children and the teachers who are all missing one another terribly. It's lovely to still have that community connection during these uncertain times.
Here is a sample lesson you can try at home with your children...
Sensorial - Rough vs. Smooth
● Find 10 things that are rough. Take a photo, gather, draw, write a list or do all four!
● Find 10 things that are smooth. Take a photo, gather, draw, write a list or do all four!
● Sort something (clothes or found objects outdoors, maybe) into order: rough, rougher, roughest
And a sample recipe:
Quick Cucumber Pickles
● ¼ c sugar
● ½ cup apple cider vinegar
● 2 teaspoons salt
● 2 large cucumbers (or mini Persian ones), thinly sliced
● Dill (or basil leaves) about1 tablespoon chopped (½ Tbs if dried)
1. Put sugar, apple cider vinegar and salt in a bowl.
2. Whisk until sugar and salt are dissolved.
3. Add cucumber and dill (or basil) to the mixture.
4. Cover the bowl and put in the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours.
5. Serve chilled.
Comments are closed.
A blog by various Alcuin staff members.